University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
The best place to get detailed, up-to-date information about UHIP is the UHIP website.
International students are automatically enrolled every year, and it is your responsibility to ensure your coverage is correct (see Mosaic > Student Center > Finances subheading > other financial ... dropdown >View/Maintain UHIP)
Coverage is currently $612 / person / year, charged to the Student Account, to be paid in full at the beginning of the academic session.
Supplementary coverage (e.g. vision, dental, prescriptions etc.) is not part of UHIP, but students do have coverage:
International Student Services (ISS) administers UHIP for all students (employees - please contact your HR representative).
If you have issues with Sun Life's website, contact them at 1 (888) 206-9004
- You are not enrolled for the full year (e.g. withdraw from your program, start in January, graduate in December, etc.)
- Your spouse and/or children come to stay with you or leave (coverage for dependants is mandatory and a $500 late registration fee applies)
- You have coverage which is equal to, or better than UHIP and wish to be exempted (Saudi plan, OHIP, etc.)
- Your status changes (e.g. you get PR status)
** Refunds are calculated on the later of when your UHIP ends, or when you notify the ISS **
Always carry your UHIP card with you. It must be printed off yearly from the Sun Life website.
Health care providers
McMaster's Student Wellness Centre (MUSC B101) is a great option for international students' medical needs for a variety of reasons, including:
- they understand UHIP
- they bill UHIP directly
- they know about the coverages available to McMaster students
UHIP can be used anywhere, but students may need to pay first, then go through the claim process to get their money returned from UHIP.
If the provider doesn't bill UHIP directly, the process for making a UHIP claim is:
- print off a claim form before seeking health care (claim form can be found here)
- have the claim form filled out at the doctor's office
- pay for the care you received
- make copies of the claim form, invoice, and proof of payment for your own records
- mail the originals of the form, invoice, and proof of payment to the address on the claim form
- set up direct deposit if you would like the claim to be paid directly to your bank account (otherwise they will send you a cheque)
- wait for UHIP to determine whether the claimed services are covered
- receive any applicable payments