McMaster University

McMaster University

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Baker & Mackenzie, in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and related Regulations, Policies and Procedures. For more information, call Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Help Centre: 1-888-242 2100. Students with a hearing impairment may access a TTY service at 1-888-576 8502. To speak with an agent, call between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (local time).

Study Permit Renewal

As an international student, you are expected to apply for a study permit renewal BEFORE your current study permit expires.

If you submit your application for a Study Permit renewal BEFORE your current study permit expires, you will be allowed to stay in Canada while your application is being processed (i.e., while you are still waiting for it). This is called "implied status". Your immigration status is “implied” because you were proactive and you took action to renew your study permit before it expired.  This means that you have implied legal status (even though you may not have received your study permit renewal) to stay in Canada to wait for IRCC’s response to your application. Please note that you must remain in Canada while your application is being processed. Should you leave Canada prior to receiving a decision on your study permit extension, you will no longer be able to benefit from implied status upon return to Canada and must wait until your study permit is approved before resuming studies in Canada.

Note that "implied status" IS NOT valid for a change of status, e.g., to wait for a response for an application for a work permit or to wait for a response for your application to be a permanent resident. In other words, "implied status" is given to you only when you are renewing the same status, or related status for which you know that you are eligible and will qualify. One exception is when you are eligible for a post-graduate work permit; in this situation you can work in Canada while on implied status, if you have completed your studies, applied for a post-graduate work permit within the qualifying time frame, and remained in Canada while waiting for a decision from IRCC in respect to your application.

Applications to extend your study permit in Canada can be submitted online or by mail (to a Case Processing Centre). We strongly recommend the online method.

The processing time of applications submitted online is generally much faster

Method 1 : online (recommended)

To apply online for an extension of your study permit, do the following:

Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website, download and print the application package and then scan the required documents. You will need to log in through "MYIRCC" in order to Submit your application electronically.  To access or to create a “MYIRCC” account, you will need to log in through the IRCC website.

Method 2: by mail (not recommended)

To extend your study permit by mail, do the following:

    • a bank statement or a letter from a Canadian bank showing how much money you have in your bank account (must indicate your name and the account number);
    • a copy of the letter giving the details about your scholarship or Canadian-funded educational program (such as a CIDA program);
    • a letter from a person (describe the relationship to you) who is giving you financial help, explaining the arrangements made for your expenses. (This information is protected under the Privacy Act and cannot be released to a third party without your sponsor’s consent.)
Documents to be sent:

Send your application via registered mail to Vegreville:

Citizenship and Immigration - Study Permit
Case Processing Centre
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 101
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X5

*Notes about some of the documents listed under the Document Checklist:
All study permits include the statement “does not authorize re-entry.” This statement is there to remind students that if they come from countries that require a TRV, their study permits alone will not be sufficient to re-enter Canada
Keep in mind also that a visa or border officer can and will prevent you from re-entering Canada if he or she determines that you are not following immigration regulations (e.g., you have been working off campus without a work permit, or you have stopped attending classes). When re-entering Canada, we recommend that you carry documents that allow you to prove that you are a bona fide McMaster University international student (i.e., a McMaster Student Card, copies of course registration or MOSAIC printouts that show your academic and financial status).


Laws in Canada, including immigration regulations, as in most countries of the world, are enforced, regardless of whether the individual knows about them or not. It is your responsibility, not that of McMaster University, to maintain your immigration status and to obey immigration regulations while studying in Canada. Check your immigration documents (Study Permit, Work Permit and/or Temporary Resident Visa) to ensure that they are accurate and that they have not expired. It is your responsibility to take action to renew your documents before they expire. If you have questions about any of your immigration documents, if you need help understanding them or if you have questions about any other immigration issues, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).