McMaster University

McMaster University

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Baker & Mackenzie, in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and related Regulations, Policies and Procedures. For more information, call Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Help Centre: 1-888-242 2100. Students with a hearing impairment may access a TTY service at 1-888-576 8502. To speak with an agent, call between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (local time).

Lost, Stolen or Damaged Documents

Sometimes the unexpected happens: you lost your immigration documents or they somehow got damaged.

First of all, do not panic.

When an important immigration document is stolen or lost it is a good idea to report the incident to the police.  This is the first step that you will take.
You will also need to request immigration authorities to:

  1. Replace a copy of your lost or damaged immigration document.
    The forms and guide are available at the IRCC's website.

For detailed information, visit: Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document.
You must pay a non-refundable fee of $30.00 and include proof of payment with the application for the new document.
Send your application to:
Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document
Operations Support Centre (ORC)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

If you lose your passport or if it is stolen, you must contact the nearest Consulate or Embassy of your country and inquire about how to obtain a new passport.

Please keep in mind that every time you obtain a new passport, you must renew/amend your study permit and, once receiving it, renew/amend your TRV.


Laws in Canada, including immigration regulations, as in most countries of the world, are enforced, regardless of whether the individual knows about them or not. It is your responsibility, not that of McMaster University, to maintain your immigration status and to obey immigration regulations while studying in Canada. Check your immigration documents (Study Permit, Work Permit and/or Temporary Resident Visa) to ensure that they are accurate and that they have not expired. It is your responsibility to take action to renew your documents before they expire. If you have questions about any of your immigration documents, if you need help understanding them or if you have questions about any other immigration issues, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).