McMaster University

McMaster University

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Baker & Mackenzie, in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and related Regulations, Policies and Procedures. For more information, call Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Help Centre: 1-888-242 2100. Students with a hearing impairment may access a TTY service at 1-888-576 8502. To speak with an agent, call between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (local time).

Invitation of family members to visit a student in Canada

If you want to invite family members to visit you in Canada, you must send your relatives the following documents, so they can apply for a visitor’s visa:

  1. An invitation letter. Read more about invitation letters.
    Request an invitation letter online from McMaster’s International Student Services.  Place your mouse over “Online Resources” and choose “Request a Letter”.
  2. A Certificate of Enrollment from McMaster University’s Registrar’s Office.
  3. A copy of your Canadian Study Permit

Once your family member has received all these documents from you, he/she/they must find out about other required documents to obtain a visitor’s visa at the nearest Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner.  A comprehensive list is provided on CIC’s website.

The intending visitor must satisfy all the ordinary requirements of that category, including temporary intent, and sufficient funds to support a stay in Canada.


Laws in Canada, including immigration regulations, as in most countries of the world, are enforced, regardless of whether the individual knows about them or not. It is your responsibility, not that of McMaster University, to maintain your immigration status and to obey immigration regulations while studying in Canada. Check your immigration documents (Study Permit, Work Permit and/or Temporary Resident Visa) to ensure that they are accurate and that they have not expired. It is your responsibility to take action to renew your documents before they expire. If you have questions about any of your immigration documents, if you need help understanding them or if you have questions about any other immigration issues, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).