McMaster University

McMaster University

Change of Status

While studying at McMaster University some international students apply for permanent resident status. In some cases, these students may able to change their student status at McMaster from "international" to "domestic". The office of Student Records (Gilmour Hall, Room 108) will be able to provide undergraduate students with information about eligibility for a change of status. This is also the office that will determine if a undergraduate student is eligible to change status and when. For questions on this matter, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or in person at Gilmour Hall, Room 108. Graduate students should contact the School of Graduate Studies.

After presenting the necessary documents, the student will need to monitor his/her student account online (e.g., using Mosaic). It may show changes in fees, depending on when the status change occurred. Students may get more information about fees and deadlines at the Student Accounts and Cashiers (Gilmour Hall, Room 209).

There will be no changes to a student's current student status until the Office of the Registrar determines that the student is entitled for it.

Please note that the policies and procedures regarding this matter are enforced in Ontario by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU). For any questions regarding this matter or related to eligibility, contact MTCU directly:

Tel: (800) 387-5514
Fax: (416) 325-6348

UHIP refunds

Once you become a permanent resident of Canada and reside in Ontario, you will be eligible for the provincial health insurance (OHIP). It takes approximately 3 months for an OHIP card to be issued. We strongly recommend that international students keep their UHIP coverage and that they cancel it only after receiving the OHIP card. UHIP can be extended or cancelled at ISS (Gilmour Hall, Room 110) with the presentation of an OHIP card and another piece of identification, preferably the student card.
UHIP refunds have deadlines based on the time students obtain and present their permanent resident documents to ISS. Please refer to the following deadlines:

Elibility to get a UHIP refundDeadline
You have got your permanent resident status AND now you have health coverage by OHIP July 31st
You need a refund for any other reason (e.g., you are leaving the country) February 28th

Please contact ISS if you have any questions or concerns.


Laws in Canada, including immigration regulations, as in most countries of the world, are enforced, regardless of whether the individual knows about them or not. It is your responsibility, not that of McMaster University, to maintain your immigration status and to obey immigration regulations while studying in Canada. Check your immigration documents (Study Permit, Work Permit and/or Temporary Resident Visa) to ensure that they are accurate and that they have not expired. It is your responsibility to take action to renew your documents before they expire. If you have questions about any of your immigration documents, if you need help understanding them or if you have questions about any other immigration issues, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).