The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Baker & Mackenzie, in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and related Regulations, Policies and Procedures. For more information, call Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Help Centre: 1-888-242 2100. Students with a hearing impairment may access a TTY service at 1-888-576 8502. To speak with an agent, call between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (local time).
Temporary Residents in Canada
There are three categories of immigration status in Canada: Canadian citizens, permanent residents and "temporary residents". International students belong to the category of "temporary residents." They "belong" to this category because they received permission to reside in Canada for a temporary period of time for study purposes.
When residing in Canada, international students may need to obtain or renew some of the following documents:
- Initial Study Permit
- Study Permit Renewal
- "Entry Visa" – Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
- Work Permits
- USA Visitor Visa (for travel to the United States only)
- Lost, Stolen or Damaged Documents
- Different types of letters available to international students
- Invitation of family members to visit a student in Canada
- Options to apply for Permanent Residence
- Change of Status
- Citizenship & Immigration Canada Call Centre
- University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)